We all know that women love to keep their manicures feminine, soft & irresistible. However, what about your pedicures?
Often we tend to neglect our toenails & feet since we don’t wear open-toe shoes as much.
Some women don’t get pedicures since they live in colder climates. On the other hand, some women can’t live without them since they truly transform your feet & give you a whole new level of confidence that you didn’t even know you had!
If you can’t grow your toenails naturally, it’s okay. You can always get acrylic toenails aka the false toenails. Wondering what these are and what does the application process look like? It is toe-tally insane! Keep on reading to find out.
What Is An Acrylic/False Toenail?
When you hear the word acrylic, you probably think of your fingernails getting a new set/extensions? Well, this is the exact same technique which is only done on top of your toenails.
Acrylic toenails are hard, thick, and inflexible. They are also an artificial way of getting longer & thicker nails. Women usually choose acrylics for their fingernails, but those who cannot grow their toenails naturally settle with this as their go-to option.
Who Should Get Acrylic Toenails extensions?
- Women who have a hard time growing out their natural toenails
- Women who want to test out something new & fun
- Those who have had fungi infection and need a change
- Those who have partial growth at their cuticle
- Those who have lost their nail and have a missing toenail
- Women who want their nails done for any formal gathering/event
- Women who have no toenails & who want to fill out their gap
How to apply/get an acrylic toenail? How Is The Process Done?
Step 1: A qualified staff member will remove any shine or dirt which may be on top of your toenails with a buffer. They will also use a nail file & nail clippers to remove any unwanted part of the nail.
Step 2: They will use scotch tape as they would use if you were a nail biter. This scotch tape is pulled around the skin of your toe.
Step 3: Then they use a sculpture nail form on top of the nail or even over the tape. This will allow your nail to form without even touching your actual skin.
Step 4: They will apply the acrylic by laying it down covering most of your nail. Usually, they use clear or pink color since it is clear underneath and easy to work with. Plus they can also place it a lot easier than they could place a black dye.
Step 5: They will leave a small opening on the side just so that excess moisture can escape. You will place both of your feet into the UV lamp for 10 minutes.
Step 6: You will be asked about your preferred shape. Usually, women go for a square. Your nail tech will shape your nails and remove any excess and dust.
Step 7: They will clean the nail and polish it with your chosen color. It can be both glossy and matte, as well as accessorized with stickers & gems. This part is entirely up to you & your preference. Your nails will demand a fill every two or three weeks, so keep that in mind when booking your appointment.
Acrylic Toenails Before and After:
Why You Should Get Acrylic Toenails, And What Are Other Options?
Acrylic nails are made out of powder polymer and a liquid monomer. This mixture is very hard & sturdy and therefore it creates an amazing protective layer on top of your natural nail. It hardens once it is exposed to air, but it may not look as natural. However, it will strengthen your toenails in the meantime & they will last you for a couple of weeks.
There are also gel toenails, which are the most-asked kind at the salon. These look a bit more natural and are applied in a different way. They are done with a base coat, two layers of color, and a topcoat. These often have a slight shine to them and are also sturdy. However, you should refill them sooner than your acrylics. Usually, they last around 10-14 days and are (most of the time) done by younger women.
Lastly, you can get a typical manicure which is consistent out of paraffin wax, and a foot massage. It is finished off with a foot & toenail cream application, as well as two coats of your favorite regular polish. This nail polish will chip the quickest and is often the most common polish in every household. However, you can easily switch this color up, which means that it is a great choice for women who love variety & who are indecisive.
What Is The Price/Cost of Acrylic Toenails?
- The application of your acrylic toenails can range from $30-60. Monthly fill-ins are half the price, around $15-30.
- Gel nails are just a bit less expensive and they go for $25-50.
- Foot manicure is usually around $40-50.
As you can see, acrylic nails aren’t too expensive when compared to other manicures, yet you will have them on for the longest period. Also, they are definitely the sturdiest & thickest kind.
However, keep in mind that every salon may have different prices. This depends on their level of expertise, their reputation, it depends on the location of your salon, as well as your countries standards.
How Long do Acrylic Toenails Last?
This pretty much depends on you & your level of maintenance. Your acrylic toenails shouldn’t be done & applied super long, and should be kept at a minimal-normal portion. Why? As you are throwing on your shoes, tying laces & running around you are actually moving your nail. Too much motion & exposure can weaken the nail & cause it to split or break off.
If you are careful enough you can have them on for an entire month and then go in for a refill. However, women will usually get fed-up with their pedicure once their nails grow out & their color moves upwards. This usually happens around the third or second week.
Maintenance Of Acrylic Toenails:
If you want your nails to stay on for as long as possible make sure you take good care of them. If possible, try to:
- Keep them out of the water and don’t overexpose them since water dries them out and weakens the glue
- Don’t pick them & don’t play with them
- Apply foot cream & nail cream every night
- Apply cuticle oil every 2-3 days
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Wear open-toe shoes as much as possible
- Don’t reapply any nail polish on top & don’t shape your nails on your own
- Get a refill when needed
Does Every Salon Offer Acrylic Toenails?
Unfortunately not. You will have to do your own research and find the perfect salon which offers this as their service. Usually, they will list out their services either on their Facebook or Instagram page, as well as on their official website.
However, never try to do this process on your own. Women who are not confident enough or those who don’t have the required skills may harm themselves by doing one wrong filing move. This means that you may cause a fungal infection, or you may even bleed. Avoid this by sticking to a professional manicurist & a nail tech expert.
How To Remove Acrylic Toenails? (At Home Procedure)
If you get fed up with your acrylics in the meantime you may want to remove them. However, some women don’t want to pay for the removal, while others don’t have time to go back to the salon & ask for a removal.
Doing this on your own is possible, but only recommended if you are somewhat experienced, as well as if you have all the needed tools. If this sound like you, follow along!
What You’ll Need:
- Nail file
- Nail buffer
- Cotton & foil
- Petroleum jelly
How To Do It?
1. Clip away and shorten your acrylics with a sturdy clipper as precisely as possible. Make sure you don’t harm yourself in the process.
2. File on top of the nail with a nail file & with your buffer. This will remove the excess color.
3. You won’t be able to remove all of it, which is where you’ll need some additional protection.
4. Use petroleum jelly around your cuticles to protect them from acetone, since the process is about to get a bit more complicated.
5. Place your soaked cotton pads (soaked with acetone) on top of the nail.
6. Use some aluminum foil and wrap it over the cotton. This foil trick will lift up the nail a bit faster.
7. Do these steps on top of every toe & leave on for 30 minutes.
8. Pull off the aluminum foil once those 30 minutes pass and shape your nails. Wash with lukewarm water to get rid of any unwanted dirt & chemicals.
9. Apply a nourishing cream and call it a day!
Top 5 Acrylic Toenail Designs For You To Consider:
Dark Blue Acrylic Toenail:
If you are into darker & more mystical colors you are going to enjoy this pedicure. It is very bright & it has the prettiest tint of blue. It is also accessorized with small gemstones and shaped into a square. This is a medium length size, ideal for women who want something long-lasting.
White French Tip Manicure:
This is the typical, feminine & perfect for the office solution. A French manicure will stand out & will look the prettiest on workaholic women. It is also even prettier once paired along with a set of acrylic fingernails. Women who need something subtle will enjoy this solution the most.
Light Pink With Gemstones:
Remember how we said that you can even add gemstones on top of your manicure? Well, this one is very playful & looks a lot like something that girls would love to get for their prom. The Light pink color is pure acrylic, while the gems are actually subtle shimmers.
Metallic Pink French Tips:
If you love Barbie pink colors & you prefer soft pink over any color you are going to enjoy this so much. It is a soft pink which is covered in a metallic French tip. It also has some silvery/metallic gemstones which will give that additional pop to your pedicure.
Long Acrylic Toenails:
Lastly, these super long & green nails are dramatic & bold. You should get these only if you are planning on wearing open-toe shoes all the time. They are beautiful, but you shouldn’t wear your favourite pair of sneakers since you could damage them, as well as your nails. The gemstones tie the entire look together, and these nails are perfect for the summer season.
- Everything To Know About The Overlay Nails | Acrylic Overlay, Gel Overlay - October 18, 2019
- Everything to know about Acrylic Toenails | False Toenails - September 5, 2019